A welfare scheme has been announced by the Seafarers Welfare Fund Society, for Indian seafarers and their families if they get infected by the deadly CoronaVirus.
The scheme is called “SWFS-NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) ASSISTANCE SCHEME FOR INDIAN SEAFARERS.”
Seafarers Welfare Fund Society (SWFS), an autonomous organisation set up by the Indian Government, has set aside Rs 12 crores for the said scheme.
In case of hospitalisation of a seafarer or his/her family member, a financial assistance maximum up to Rs 1 Lac (100K) will be provided to the seafarer whereas in case of death of a seafarer due to coronavirus, a financial assistance amounting to Rs 2 lac (200K) will be paid to the next of kin of the seafarer.
Some Key Points from the Circular Released By SWFS are as follows:
- The scheme will be effective from Feb 1, 2020 till Dec 31, 2020.
- This scheme will cover all seafarers in possession of Indian CDC and their families and the spouse of deceased seafarers.
- The spouse of the deceased seafarer will be eligible for the scheme provided she/he is not re-married.
- The scheme will only be applicable if the seafarer or his/her family member have been admitted to and taken a treatment at a notified COVID hospital in India only.
- To initiate a claim, if a seafarer is below 60 years of age, s/he will be required to submit the self attested copy of the latest CDC to confirm the last sea-service period through the RPSL/Indian company.
- The seafarers above 60 years of age will be required to submit the self attested copy of the latest CDC for verification.
- The retired seafarers, below 60 years of age will be required to submit the self attested copy of the latest CDC for verification.
- The spouse of a deceased seafarer is required to submit a self attested copy of the CDC of her/his deceased seafarer and a declaration that she/he has not re-married.
- The scheme will not apply to any seafarer who is at legal liability of employer/RPSL company during the employment and in treatment during sign on / sign off.
- The application format to apply for a claim under this scheme is given in the circular, which can be downloaded from here.
- The claim applications has to be sent to the emails dedicated for this scheme- [email protected] or [email protected]